2020 Applications for Alabama Hemp Growers and Processors/Handlers Now Open
October 17, 2019
Applications for the 2020 Industrial Hemp Program are now being accepted by the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries (ADAI). After the first round of applications in early 2019, 157 applications were approved for growers, processors, and university researchers. New this year, applications and registration fees may be submitted online.
Rosen Harwood attorneys have advised and assisted numerous licensees during and subsequent to the application process. Several portions of the application process require actions outside the formal application submission directly to ADAI:
- Individuals who would like to apply under a business entity name will need to have formation documents completed prior to the submission of their applications.
- Background checks are required, and applicants submit the request directly through the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency. The request will need to be made prior to the November 14 application deadline.
- Certain fees are required with the application submission, but other fees are required subsequent to approval.
- Growers and processors/handlers who will be leasing property will need an executed lease agreement and property owner affirmation.
- Grow plans do not have to be submitted at the time of the application submission but are required to be submitted prior to July 31, 2020 (and prior to planting).
Applications must be submitted online or postmarked no later than November 14, 2019. Contact our experienced team today for more detailed advice about preparing for success in the 2020 hemp application and harvest season.