Jeffrey C. Smith
Anita Boyette, Assistant
Melanie Burgett, Paralegal
|Board Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in both Civil Litigation and Civil Pretrial Litigation|
Jeff has been providing advice and counsel to individuals and business clients in a wide array of matters for over twenty years. Along with providing general legal counsel to his clients, Jeff has a great deal of experience in litigating cases in both state and federal court. He has tried cases before judges, juries, arbitrators and administrative hearing officers. Likewise, he has handled numerous appellate matters. He is also a certified mediator and has participated in scores of successful mediations. Jeff has also served as an Administrative Law Judge, and has served as a specially appointed Deputy Attorney General for the State of Alabama.
Due to his unique background and experience, Jeff has the ability to relate to his clients particular needs and the wide range of legal issues that they face. Jeff is a first-generation college graduate and served four years on active duty in the U. S. Army prior to attending The University of Alabama. Prior to law school, Jeff lived in numerous parts of the country as well as abroad. He has also been involved in mission work both at home and abroad. As a result of those experiences, he has a sincere passion to use his God given gifts and talents to serve his clients.
Jeff’s practice primarily focuses on commercial and business-related litigation. However, he also assists individuals with personal injury, real estate, construction, employment, environmental, and other general legal matters. Jeff is also board certified in both in Civil Litigation and Civil Pretrial Litigation by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
Contact Jeff today to schedule your consultation today and see if he can help you guide you through the legal issues you may be facing.
Publications & Presentations
- Advanced Construction Law in Alabama - NBI Seminars
- Hot Topics for the Litigator (Real Estate Issues) - “Cocktail Party Law” - Answers to Questions Your Friends Might Ask [Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ABICLE)]
- Boot Camp for Litigating Automobile Accident Cases - Ethical Issues in Automobile Litigation [ABICLE]
- Hot Topics for the Litigator - The New Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act: A New Set of Traps for the Landlord [ABICLE]
- Avoiding Malpractice Insurance Issues and Settlement in Automobile Litigation [Attorneys Insurance Mutual]
- Summary of Mechanics’ Liens in Alabama [The Home Builders Association of Tuscaloosa]
- Workplace Injuries and Return to Work Issues [The Home Builders Association of Tuscaloosa]
- The Bully in the Workplace [ABICLE]
- Noah Parden Man of Courage - Legal Ethics
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum
- Tuscaloosa County Bar Association
- Alabama A&M University
- Christian Law Students Association
- The Landlord Tenant Act [Alabama State Bar]
- Legal Liability for Small Business [University of Alabama]
- Workplace Relationships
- The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama
- Numerous other groups and businesses
- The New Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act: Balancing the Scales of Justice in the Landlord-Tenant Relationship, 67 Ala. Law. 422 (2006)
- Eviction Moratorium and How it Affects Landlords and Tenants April 3, 2020
- Jeff Smith recertifies in Civil Trial Law December 2, 2019
- Important Changes Ahead for Owners and Managers of Residential Rental Property April 22, 2018
Jeff has provided legal services free of charge or at a significantly reduced charge to a number of local charities and faith-based organizations by assisting them with corporate formation, day to day operational guidance and consulting, personnel issues and litigation support if necessary. See a few of the organizations below.:
- Inside Out Prison Ministry, Inc. - Provides pastoral support and counseling to Inmates at Tuscaloosa Juvenile Detention Center, Tuscaloosa County Jail, and Bibb County Correctional facility.
- Freedom in Grace, Inc. - Provides Counseling and support to individuals battling Sexual Addictions.
- Tuscaloosa Prayer Network, Inc. - Provides support and encourages unity among the various churches and faith-based organizations throughout the community.
- Eagles Wings, Inc. (Board Member) - Provides day rehabilitation and other services to physically and mentally challenged adults in West Alabama.
- The Tuscaloosa Chapter of Ducks Unlimited, Inc. (Past President) - Provides for the preservation of wetlands habitat in Alabama and across North America. Jeff served as Past District Chairman of a district which included 5 separate County Chapters and sub-Chapters.
- Church of the Highlands (Active Member, Dream Team Member, Small Group Leader)
- Southern Baptist Foreign Missions Board - Jeff worked with this organization on numerous ministries and outreach projects targeting the Korean People while also serving on Active Duty in the United States Army overseas. During his service he also taught English as a second language in Russia.
- The Tuscaloosa Children’s Center (Board Member) - The Children’s center provides forensic interviews and counseling to children that are the victims of physical and sexual assault.
Awards & Honors
Alabama State Bar Al Vreeland Pro Bono Award
Tuscaloosa County Bar Association President
News & Insights
Jeff's Notable Appellate Cases:
Marvin Hart v. J. Dempsey Marcum, Chief of Police of the City of Northport, et al., No. 2950816 (Ala. Civ. App. 1997). http://caselaw.findlaw.com/al-court-of-civil-appeals/1249369.html
Allen Yielding and Cindy Yielding v. Charles E. Riley and Lillie M. Riley, No. 2960648 (Ala. Civ. App. 1997). http://caselaw.findlaw.com/al-court-of-civil-appeals/1249186.html
Tahnya B. Northington v. David S. Northington, No. 2160352 (Ala. Civ. App. 2017). http://caselaw.findlaw.com/al-court-of-civil-appeals/1879376.html
KLW Enterprises, Inc. v. West Alabama Commercial Industries, Inc., No. 2080563 (Ala. Civ. App. 2009). http://caselaw.findlaw.com/al-court-of-civil-appeals/1003502.html
Cheryl Goree, as mother and next frined of Brandon Trent v. Becky Shirley, as mother of Christopher Michael Shirley, No. 2981238 (Ala. Civ. App. 2000). http://caselaw.findlaw.com/al-court-of-civil-appeals/1346837.html
Pamela Tiggs-Vaughn v. Tuscaloosa Housing Authority, No. 09-15485 (11TH Cir. 2010). https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca11/09-15485/200915485-2011-02-28.html
WK Industrial Services Corp. v. INP North America, Inc., No. 1130777 (Ala. 2015). https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=8455935217271116211&hl=en&as_sdt=6&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr
Billy E. Burnett d/b/a Billy Burnett Constr. V. John Coffield, No. 1991935 (Ala. 2001). https://casetext.com/case/decisions-wo-published-opinions-131